Monday, November 07, 2011

NEW BOOK FROM STERLING HUNDLEY


Award winning illustrator Sterling Hundley has come out with a collection of his art, Blue Collar / White Collar.


The book melds Hundley's commercial illustration, his gallery art, and his thoughts on working "between the demands of  Blue Collar ethic and the ambitions of a White Collar aesthetic."
 

Readers may recall that I admire Hundley's talent, his enthusiasm for nurturing young artists, and his thoughtful efforts to adapt to the circumstances confronting a 21st century artist. Many illustrators talk about diversifying and selling "fine" art to gallery audiences, but Hundley is one who seems to have pulled it off.  I was pleased to be asked to write the introduction for his book.

This compact volume (6" x 9") includes revealing preliminary sketches for some of his better known works.


I recommend that you check it out.

13 comments:

MORAN said...

Hundley is one of the best of the current illustrators. I wondered what he has been working on lately.

Graham Yarrington said...

I went to his lecture at the society as you recommended. He had a lot of interesting things to say, and when I had the pleasure of talking with him before the lecture he was the nicest guy. This is definitely a good book to own.

Stan Shaw said...

Usually introductions are never a selling point with me. But I want to get a copy of this book, and I'd love to here what you have to say.

kalonji said...

i'll get my copy straight ASAP !!

António Araújo said...

Pre-ordered it.

Are you happy now, David? You made me break my austerity vows :((

Amarjeet Prasad said...

I have introduced a lot of friends look at this article, the content of the articles there will be a lot of attractive people to appreciate, I have to thank you for such an article.
Paintings

Anonymous said...

jimi hendrix good ones,i love it..

Daniel Zalkus said...

Hart-

I thought that was Prince?

Amarjeet Prasad said...

It's a interesting news,i like it.Additionally,wellcome to my website
Paintings

Steffen Hansson said...

The last painting is something else. Love how much weird depth he can get with the dress.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I want it for those sketches and notes pages! Loved his work for a long time myself and have had some great dealings with him myself. If I can get the cash together, I might have to get this one! Oh, and as for the Hendrix/Prince? Sad to say, he didn't nail EITHER of them, if either one was who he was trying to capture.

Ken Meyer Jr.

Analie Casuncad said...

My brother, Jowen loved Sterling Hundley's books. Well some of them but I didn't. I'm not much in awe like his to such craft. I love anime rather.

Pontiac Solstice Turbo said...

You have really done a great work to share the hidden art of the great man. It is really a nice work by them. Thanks a lot for this